Restricted Driver's License Information

(509) 750-0850

There are two types of Restricted Driver's Licenses:

1. Ignition Interlock License (IIL)

What is an IIL?

An Ignition Interlock Driver License (IIL) allows you to drive a vehicle while your license is suspended or revoked for a drug or alcohol–related offense.

To be eligible, your driving record must show all of the following:
  • An arrest or conviction of any of the following:
    • DUI or Physical Control involving drugs or alcohol
    • Reckless Driving
    • Vehicular Assault involving drugs or alcohol
    • Vehicular Homicide involving drugs or alcohol
  • You have an unexpired WA driver license or a valid out of state driver license
  • Your current suspension or revocation doesn't include: 
    • Minor in Possession, or
    • Habitual Traffic Offender (Suspended 1st degree)
How to apply for an IIL: 

1. Install an ignition interlock device in your car. 

2. Get proof of financial responsibility.

3. Complete a Restricted Driver's License Application.

4. Submit the application and fee

2. Occupational Restricted Driver's License (ORL)

 What is an ORL?

It's a license that restricts the times of day you may drive (not to exceed 12 hours in a 24-hour period), the days of the week you may drive, the areas where you may drive, and the vehicles you may drive (only vehicles that you've filed proof of financial responsibility).

Who's eligible to get an ORL?

DOL will only issue ORLs to people who have a WA driver license. If you want to get an ORL and have a WA residence address you'll need to get a WA driver license. This will include passing all tests and paying fees.

Who's not eligible to get an ORL?
  • You've been convicted of vehicular assault or vehicular homicide within the last 7 years prior to your current incident.
  • Your driver license is suspended for:
    • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI).
    • Physical control (drug or alcohol-related).
    • Minor in possession.
    • Vehicular assault or vehicular homicide.
    • Intermediate (teen) license violations.
    • Too many rules of the road violations while you have an intermediate license.
    • Failure to pay child support.
    • Fraud.
    • Medical or vision reasons.
    • Violation of court-ordered probation.
    • Habitual traffic offender status.
  •  Failure to:
    • Qualify on a medical or visual exam.
    • Qualify on a driver skills exam.
    • Undergo required alcohol/chemical dependency treatment.
    • Violation of ORL restrictions.
    • Canceled SR-22 insurance (proof of financial responsibility).
Special Note for Commercial Drivers:

You can't get an ORL to drive a commercial motor vehicle. But, if you have a commercial driver license, you may apply for an ORL to operate a non-commercial motor vehicle.

How to apply for an ORL:

1. Complete a Restricted Driver License Application.

2. Provide one of the following proofs of financial responsibility:

    • A certificate of insurance (SR-22). Contact an auto insurance agent for help.
    • A State Treasurer's certificate of deposit of $60,000 or approved collateral of equal value.
    • A surety bond executed by the person giving proof and a surety company authorized to do business in Washington State, or by the person giving proof and by 2 individual sureties.

3. Submit your application, proof of financial responsibility, and non-refundable $100 fee.

4. If you qualify, DOL will issue your ORL by mail or email on the day your suspension begins.

Schedule a Telephone Consultation Today!

Pederson Law, PLLC. offers telephone consultations to prospective clients who are seeking assistance with simple traffic tickets to criminal or post-conviction relief matters. Call today to schedule a discreet initial consultation. Ask about me about promotional pricing on retainer fees!

Pederson Law, PLLC.
(509) 352-6517 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm


Pederson Law, PLLC. is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Wenatchee, WA. The firm is located on the corner of Wenatchee Avenue and Palouse Street.